Monday, April 2, 2012

The Tattooed Poets Project: Eric Morago

This morning's tattooed poet is Eric Morago, who shares these lines of verse from his forearm:




I am a BIG Charles Bukowski fan, so I immediately recognized these lines ("what matters most / is how you / walk through the / fire") when I saw the photo.

Eric explains:

"The tattoo is taken from a the title of a collection of poems 
by Charles Bukowski. 
 I got [the tattoo] over Thanksgiving break at a local tattoo shop (Body Art Tattoo) in my hometown of Whittier, CA during my first semester of grad school.  I had just finished grading a bunch of papers as well as writing my own for a class and was just overwhelmed by what the next two years had in store for me that I wanted to do something commemorate the struggle ahead.  So that when all was said and done, M.F.A in hand, there was also tangible proof (besides a piece of paper) for what I had I succeeded in obtaining.  And the words would be a damn good reminder on those occasions where papers and grading and thesis deadlines loomed in the distance." 
By way of poetry, Eric offers up this tattoo-related gem:



ENTANGLED


A beautiful portrait of destruction,

her back is tattooed from shoulder

to shoulder—a giant octopus tears

boats apart with unworldly tendrils.

This turns me on.  I am a prepubescent

again thinking I’ve found ambrosia

between the pages of Victoria’s Secret

catalogues.  I get dizzy, lost in fantasy.

How though its body is submerged

in murky water, hidden by shading,

I believe the monster is winking at me.

I sit, imagine freckles into tiny frenzied

sailors jumping ship into the dark of her

skin, sinking down spine’s curve,

drowning, or falling into the creature’s

waiting, open-beaked mouth.  I would

never tell her any of this, of course.

Better she stay in the peep, a shadowy

figure of myth.  And like a yarn-spinning

seadog swearing by fantastical beasts—

all tentacles, sharp snouted and snarl

toothed—I too am ensnared, imagination

entangled in the suction-cupped arms

of wanting.  It is all I can do to fight,

struggle being pulled under an inky

veil where our eyes can clearly meet,

where any and all mystique is gone.


~ ~ ~
Eric Morago is a Pushcart Prize-nominated poet who believes performance carries as much importance on the page, as it does off. Currently Eric is an an associate reviewer for Poetix.net, poet-in-residence with California WorkforceAssociation, and teaches workshops for Red Hen Press’ Writing in the Schools program. 




His first full length collection of poetry and prose entitled, What We Ache For, is available from Moon Tide Press. Eric holds an MFA in Creative Writing from California State University, Long Beach and lives to write in Whittier, CA.


Thanks to Eric for sharing his poem and tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!




This entry is ©2012 Tattoosday. The poem and tattoo are reprinted with the poet's permission.


If you are reading this on another web site other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.